Job Title: Lawyer
Type of Position: Full-time
Length of Contract: 12 Months
Compensation And Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Local Compensation Package.
Application Deadline: 15/12/2023
About SEED Foundation:
SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; and 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy.
Role Of The Job Title:
The purpose of the lawyer position is to provide legal information, counseling and representation to survivors of GBV and/or human trafficking and those at risk of violence. The lawyer reports to the Legal Coordinator and/or to the Protection and Service Delivery Manager (PSDM) in the absence of the Legal Coordinator.
Legal Service Delivery - 80 %
- Provide legal information, counseling and representation (court and administrative) services in regard to gender-based violence, human trafficking and other protection violations.
- Conduct legal awareness sessions and help individuals realize and claim their rights.
- Advocate on behalf of individual clients with relevant stakeholders including courts and the governmental offices to ensure that rights are upheld and protected.
- Ensure that internal and external referrals are well received and followed up in a timely manner.
- Prepare and proceed all paperwork for legal fees and transportation allowances in line with SEED policies.
- Identify case management and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) needs of clients and refer them. This requires close work with case managers-CMs and psychologists to ensure that clients’ needs are met.
- Adhere to all SEED policies including the policies for the legal services policies and SOPs and human resources, finance, security and procurement and logistic policies and procedures.
- At the request of the PSDM/ line manager, attend and represent SEED at meetings and working groups, and ensure coordination with stakeholders and the communities.
- Any other relevant task as assigned by the line manager.
Documentation and Reporting - 15%
- Maintain electronic and physical archiving of legal cases as per the SEED SOPs.
- Provide regular monthly reports on legal activities, cases and challenges to the line manager.
- Identify legal and protection trends and properly document and report them to the legal Coordinator.
- Develop individual weekly and monthly work plans and share them with the line manager.
- Provide legal analysis and input on the existing laws and policies in KRI at the request of the line manager.
- Prepare monthly case presentations to the line Manager.
Monitoring and Evaluation - 5%
- Assist in the supervision and monitoring of legal services, as well as maintaining accurate records in accordance with MEAL’s data gathering.
- Follow SEED’s data collection approaches and ensure systematic gathering and accuracy of legal data.
- A bachelor or advanced degree in law
- Membership of Kurdistan Bar Association (Iraqi Bar Association if confirmed s/he is allowed to practice law in KRI). More than 3 years of experience working as a lawyer in the KRI and/or Iraq. NGO work experience is desirable, and work experience at the camps
- Language requirements: Kurdish (Fluent) and Arabic (Advanced). A working knowledge of English is required for the TIP program and desirable for other programs.
- Ownership and commitment
- Technical proficiency
- Communication and working relationships
- Understanding policies and procedures
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Strong commitment to SEED values and mission.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this LINK.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.